If you’re a heavy emoji user, we’d love to see which one describes the way you feel about this update –...
Claim a Username for Your Facebook PageMichelle
Did you recently create a new Facebook Page? Claim your username!
This quick and easy step is often overlooked after a Page is created, but it’s necessary and helpful to claim your Vanity URL for your Facebook Page. We’ll walk you through the explanation of a Vanity URL, why you need it and how to get it.
What do we Mean by Username?
When you first create a Page, Facebook generates a URL for it that is long and contains random numbers and characters. Not exactly easy to recite to your friends.
After your Page receives 25 Likes, you are able to claim a username, and with it a “Vanity” URL. This will be your unique Facebook URL that you can associate with your Page. Now your username can be something easier to share, like www.facebook.com/[YourPageName]
Note: Facebook generally requires 25 Likes before you can claim your username, as mentioned above, but sometimes it does let you claim it as you are creating your Page. If Facebook does not give you the option to claim your username right away, make a note to yourself to do so after the Page gets 25 Likes.
Why You Should Claim a Username for Your Facebook Page
Creating your unique Facebook URL is important for a couple big reasons:
Easy to share
A clean and simple URL containing your Page or brand name makes it easy for people to find you and easy for you to share your Page with others. For example, www.facebook.com/ConquertheFeed is going to be easier to tell friends about than www.facebook.com/conquer-the-feed327867826874. You’ll remember the URL better, and so will your fans.
If you plan to have a social media presence among other platforms, you want to match your Facebook Page username to your usernames on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. Claim your username for your Facebook Page to ensure consistent branding across all of your social media platforms. Again, this makes it easier for people to find you and easier for you to share your social media accounts with others.
How to Claim a Username
After your Page hits 25 Likes, claim your unique username.
- Access your Page. In the menu on the left sidebar, click About.
- In the middle of the page, locate the “Username” field. Click Create Page @username.
3. In the Username field, enter the username you’d like to use for your Page. This username will generate the Vanity URL as well.
4. At the bottom, click Create Username.
You now have a username and Vanity URL custom to your Facebook Page!
Tips for Creating a Username
Your username should be straightforward and easy to remember. When creating a username for your Page, keep the following tips in mind:
- Keep your username as close to your business, brand or Page name as possible.
- Check that the username is available across all social media platforms you intend to use to ensure brand consistency. Namecheckr is a great tool for this.
- Pick a username that you think you will be happy with for a long time. Usernames are not transferable.
- Usernames can only contain alphanumeric characters (A-z, 0-9) or a period.
- Consider whether you want to use your business name or the main keywords people are searching with.
Claiming a username is a quick and easy step that makes your Page easy to share and easy to find. Remember to claim a username for your Facebook Page after you hit 25 Likes and keep it consistent across all social media platforms.
Have questions about claiming a username for your Facebook Page? Let us know by leaving a comment!